Monday, November 20, 2017

Data Binding

This is funny. But you wouldn't understand. When I was in 6th grade, I was so bored in class, that I used to color in graph paper. Like, using all the markers in the box, and coloring in every box of the entire sheet of graph paper. I colored all sorts of designs. Every one I could think of. Each time, new and different. Crayola rainbow pages of different patterns. All made up of little squares.

So it's funny because now I've adopted a "habit tracker" habit in my planner/bullet journal... and flipping back thru a few pages of it, the data I've been collecting about my life for the past several months, and what do I see, but brightly colored boxes. An esoteric assortment of cryptic zeros and ones tracking my behaviors ... all neatly categorized by date.

Sure, there are imperfections in the data. It's not 100% accurate. Some people must stake their careers on striving for perfection in data. Some fields demand it.

Staring at it makes me think it must be part of the binary code of what I'm producing in my life.

And what I want to produce - and how I'm going about refining it. I think I can better utilize this tool to accomplish just that. It's interesting to study how the categories have changed over time. And shifted in position. Does the position indicate their importance? Only somewhat, some of it is also about it's relative location to the other data. i.e. I have somewhat attempted to categorize and organize it.
But the imperfections come when there were things left out and forgotten until later .It's really quite a poetic mixture of organized madness.
And what a self-reflection exercise. It wasn't something that cumulated quickly or revealed its depths fast. Perhaps I'm only beginning to scratch the surface.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home